Often times, paternity of a child is not yet established.  This could happen if the parents were not married at the time of the birth of the child and the parents did not sign a voluntary declaration of paternity.  Generally, if the father was at the hospital when the child was born and the father’s name is on the birth certificate, then paternity does not need to be established.  However, if the father’s name was not on the birth certificate and there was no voluntary declaration of paternity, then the father will have to establish paternity through a paternity case to assert any rights he may have in regard to the child.  After paternity has been established, the father may then seek child custody, child visitation, and/or child support.